Monday, November 10, 2008

more.....it's a small world


I forgot to share some really neat news on my post last night. While in Navarre, a customer came up to me and asked if my last name was Cagle. I said no and explained the story of why I named the business Cagle Creations, and that it's actually after the mountain in Dunlap, TN where our land is and how since we were not able to actually move to Tennessee last year, we decided to bring the mountain to us - therefore Cagle Creations was born. She smiled as I told this story and then informed me that she is a Cagle and all of her decendants still live on Cagle Mountain, and they have a huge family reunion every summer. I was literally speechless and told her that I am so happy to meet her, and that I love that little town and will move there some day. It is literally a hidden paradise, sort of an old version of what Gatlinburg may have been like before touched by the tourist industry. Anyway I decided to take the time to include some pictures of this sweet town, so you can see why we love it so much.




The picture above is from a scenic outlook of Dunlap just outside of town going towards Chattanooga on Hwy.111. If you look closely toward the left of the center of the picture where two mountains sort of overlap, you will see Cagle Mountain to the right of the one in front of it.

The Cookie Jar Cafe is the best place to eat (in my opinion) just outside of town. It is located on the Johnson's family farm. They have country cooking and an awesome view from the front porch of the restaurant as you can see below. Dunlap finally got a Walmart last January. Now the locals don't have to drive across the mountain to shop in Soddy Daisy. It sits below Fredonia Mountain.



Dunlap is known for it's annual bluegrass festival each June. Some people travel a long way to come to this and take part. It is located at the old Coke Ovens Park. There's a museum there telling about the history of the town, and the landscape there is beautiful. There is no alcohol allowed, so it's a fun family event. People camp there and play music for two days. This past June a college student from the local area was doing a project and actually interviewed me & my Mom and got some footage of my Dad playing his guitar along with some locals. My parents travel to the town to meet us there and have fell in love with it too.





I just had to share a little bit of this town that I've grown to love. As you can tell, I am in my Tennessee mode since we are heading that way in just over a week. I hope you enjoyed a little history behind the naming of Cagle Creations.

No comments: